Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What Kind of Person Am I?: For Colored Girls Review

Last night my professor invited my classmates and I to see For Colored Girls movie screening. I also had the opportunity to see my professor Dr. Ammons, Phylicia Rashad, and another young lady (i forgot her name but she was a DC news reporter) discuss the movie in a panel immediately after the movie ended. All I can say is WOW!!! lol I don't want to spoil and give away too much, because it doesn't come out until friday and a lot of people havn't seen it yet, but I think Tyler Perry done an amazing job. 
For those who aren't familiar with the movie, For Colored Girls is a movie based on Ntozake Shange's play "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf." The play featured 7 women known by colors who performed a collection of 20 poems. In the movie, the women had names but wore their colors. Each of the poems dealt with major issues that impacted women on what it meant to be a women of color in the world. The themes of the movie included infidelity, pregnancy, homosexuality, molestation, sexual morality, domestic abuse, alcoholism, and death. You will take a journey with each character as they change their lives through negative and positive choices. Nothing is sugar-coated in this movie. As a young woman watching this, it is difficult not to be disgusted, sympathetic and familiar with their drama. Bring lots and LOTS of tissues because you will be on an emotional rollercoaster because you will feel the pain and tragedy each character feels. If one story doesn't touch you, believe me another's will. This is not a date night type of movie lol. The panel was great as well. I was so excited to see Phylicia Rashad, she is so beautiful in person and funny!!!! I encourage all women, young or old to go out and watch this movie as it celebrates sisterhood.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment